Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Happenings

Happy Holidays!!
December did not fail to meet expectations of a busy, busy holiday season!! I will post a December recap before long. I hope that each of you had a memorable holiday season and will experience many rewarding moments in 2010.
I decided to post a quick little note on my first wool hat for self. This one is to use for anticipated COLD weather as the Gamecocks travel to Birmingham, Alabama for the Papa John's Pizza Bowl. You all know how cold-natured I am . . . as soon as I saw that the high on game day would be around 40 degrees, I began digging out all the long johns, overcoats, wool sweaters and socks!
I thought if I was determined, that I could finish a wool hat in a few days . . . this was from leftover Cascade Ecological Wool that I used for the Hemlock Ring Blanket.
It is knitted in the round on size 7 (for the band) and size 9 needles. The pattern is Ann Norling's "Any Gauge/Any Size Hat".
Getting started . . . I used a 2x2 ribbed band instead of suggested 1x1.
Overall, I am pretty pleased. The hat seems a little large for me, although I followed all the directions closely. There will not be a problem with the hat covering my ears and keeping my head warm. The wool is also very soft and SO "cushy-comfy" feeling on my head!!
The colorful top pom-pom was made with leftover Peruvia Quick by Berroco. I used this to make vest a few months ago.
There are so many great things going on . We are watching everyday to see a few more camellias bloom.
The striped one is Tama Americana. This plant is really showing off right now. It seems appropriate for the holidays with its beautiful dark pink petals outlined in white.
Stay tuned for more action on holiday happenings, knitting, and "the babies"!

No comments: